What can I do to make a difference at home and reduce the amount of stormwater pollution?
Amazingly enough, you can make a huge difference in stormwater quality by simply changing a few practices at home. Here are six easy steps:
- Wash your car on the lawn
- Mulch your grass clippings and leave on the lawn
- Sweep dirt from your driveways and sidewalks onto the lawn, pick up debris and put in the trash
- Pick up your pet waste and put it in the dumpster
- Use fertilizers and pesticides sparingly and always follow the suggested application rate, never apply chemicals before a rain
- Take leftover paint, used oil, and leftover chemicals to the Tri-County drop off Center (Household Hazardous Waste Facility opens April 6th.)
Remember, we all live downstream.