Johnson Park

Location:

601 West Broadway Avenue

Acres:

0.1 Acres
Features: 
Picnic Table(s)

Green Space Park with a picnic table for seating.

History

Ironically, the City of Saint Peter's smallest park (0.14 acre) is named for Governor John A. Johnson (1861-1909), the city’s most famous historical citizen. Like Governor Johnson, this park had humble beginnings. It was originally platted as residential lots, then kept as right-of-way for old State Highway 22, and transferred from Minnesota Department of Transportation to the city in 1953.

Governor Johnson was a classic American success story:  He had little formal education, supported his mother and siblings, worked to become co-owner and editor of the St. Peter Herald, elected to the Minnesota State Senate (1898-1903), and finally to three, two-year terms as Governor (1904-1909). He ran successfully as a Democrat in a time when the state was a Republican stronghold, and was a very popular Governor. He died from surgical complications in Rochester on September 21, 1909. His statue sits in front of the Nicollet County Courthouse, and also the Minnesota Capitol building.

For more information about Gov. Johnson see http://www.mnopedia.org/person/johnson-john-albert-1861-1909

Johnson Park Photo